Sunday, April 15, 2012

Friday 13th April

I can't believe that I managed to schedule my return trip on such a day and now I'm wishing I hadn't.
I had to get up at 4am, leave at 4.30am to get to the bus station for the 6.15am coach.  Except that the man who sold me the ticket gave me an evening coach and not the morning one.  So I missed the morning coach which was really at 5.45am.  In fact, I saw it leaving as I arrived at the coach station.
So I waited and drank cappuccinos.  Not my favourite coffee, but what was I supposed to do?  I made the most of it and tried to relax.
At 8am, I got on the coach.
2 1/2 hours later I got off the coach and ran for a taxi.
I arrived at the airport at 10.55am.
Check in closed at 11am.
I got to the gate at 11.10am.
Boarding was at 11.20am.
And the flight was scheduled to depart at 11.45am.
It was late taking off, but oh well.
We landed only a few minutes later than scheduled.
I turned on my phone but it didn't work.
I went through customs/passport control and waited for my suitcase.
And waited.
And waited.
Along with about 25 other people.
Finally, we ask what has happened and apparently all our luggage is still at the departure airport.
We had to fill out a report form.  It would take 2 days to get the bags to the UK and then a courier would deliver them.
Ok, so then next I went to the train, asked an official man what train I'd need. He told me but forgot to mention to get a certain one.  So I bought the wrong ticket for the wrong train that stopped everywhere before having me change to a different train.  I was able to swap tickets for a direct train.
Got off at my stop, thinking I'd take a bus all the way to my front door, but no.....there was 'work' being done and the stop was a 10 minute walk away.  So I ended up taking 2 buses.  My phone was still not working and I needed it, in case the airline rang about my suitcase.
I stayed on the bus, went past my house and on to the mobile phone shop.
Almost cried telling them my story but they checked my old phone from head to toe and yes, it was indeed broken.  Crap!!!
One upgrade and a new contract later and I'm finally heading home to see my little girl and my mum.
Having started my journey at 4.30am, I arrived home at 5.50pm.
Oh what a day.
And not one I want to repeat any time soon.
A definite Friday the 13th experience.

1 comment: