Actually that title should read "the wanderers return", as my child and I are home after yet another jaunt across the pond to Chicago.
This trip was a short one and it really did feel just that. Normally we are over there for closer to 3 weeks, this time it was only 11 days. Strangely, I kept having the sense that there was not enough time, not what I was used to. I'm used to the luxury of unwanted time, being able to grumble that the trip is too long, that I want to go home now, but this time it was simply a case of seeing everyone more or less just once.
And....yes there is an 'and', I did not get to the beach as much as I had hoped for but (yes, there is a but), I did manage to go to the cinema 3 whole times.
I'm lucky enough to be staying near to an independent cinema where I was able to see "Midnight in Paris" and also "The Whistleblower". Both were WOW in very different ways. And in between these two, I went down 600 North Michigan and saw "Crazy, stupid, love".
But overall, my trip was very relaxing thanks to my generous cousin who opens her house to me and allows me to spend copious amounts of time cuddling her Yorkie-Poo. Too cute.
One of my favourite things to do while wiling away the time is to sit on the beach and watch the Chicago Air & Water Show, except that I only ever watch the 'air' part of it. On the Friday, I try to watch the practice show in relative peace, when most people are still at work. Then on at least one of the days over the weekend, I join the millions who sit on their tiny patch of sand with their heads tilted to the sky. It was fantastic. I met some great people, who like me, come every year.
Will I do the same in 2012?
I think the answer is an emphatic and resounding YES!
No comments:
Post a Comment