Saturday, February 6, 2010

Time

Ok, so what does it mean to have time on my hands?
Please tell me, as I think I've forgotten.
Also, what is 'spare' time?
Does it mean that I have extra time?
And how do I define 'time is of the essence'?
Is 'timeless' when you have less of it?
I ask these questions because I'm struggling to manage my time.
For me, time is not a tangible thing. I'm not able to touch or see or smell it.
How do I manage it better then?
My life is so full of routine, with very little time for any variable.
Two alarms are set, one for Monday and Wednesday, while the other is for Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. We do not get home before 5.15pm every day of the week, with all the hours in between filled with to-ing and fro-ing between our two schools. Homework, housework, bath, supper follows with an almost regimented sense of timing. There is no easy flowing relaxed pace, it is all quick, do it now.
As I stood in my kitchen wolfing down a small bowl of granola, rushing to get out of the house, I managed to reflect on 'eating'. In searching through the miasma that are my thoughts, I tried to remember the last time that I sat, quietly and enjoyed a slow meal, able to savour the food.
I am currently sitting on my bed, listening to my daughter and her friend play happily in her bedroom and I realise that I am having 'time'.
Time to sit.
Time to rest.
Time to write.
Ahh...I wonder if this is what is meant by having 'spare' time?

No comments:

Post a Comment