Monday, August 30, 2010

Little fingers

Just before leaving on my travels in August, I went to my friend's 40th Birthday bash.
It was a beautiful evening for a garden party and I knew that it was going to be a rather swish night.
I felt very nervous about going alone, wishing that DC was with me and NOT in bloody Wales. But being the big, brave girl that I am, I went alone, hoping that I had dressed appropriately and didn't look too dowdy.
As it turned out, there were two camps of dress/style. First was the romper suit and the second was skinny jeans and cute top with high sandals. I was in the latter and felt quite ok about it.
My friend is very partial to my apricot flap-jacks, so I had baked a container of those for her and also a large batch of "4's and 0's", forty biscuits. The day before the party she had asked me if I had a cake in my freezer.......pleeeeease??? Thankfully I had an apple cake tucked away, so armed with that, the 40s and the flapjacks, I made my way to the party but as I pulled up to park, I realised that I had forgotten her present. So I'm not perfect.
I put one of the 40s onto the cake and sprinkled icing sugar over it, then removed leaving just the outline of the number. The flapjacks went into the freezer for a later midnight snack and the 40 biscuits went into a bowl for the party.
About an hour later, my friend and I strolled into the kitchen to get something and for me to show her the baked goods, but to my dismay, some little hands (possibly her two children) had attacked the cake, demolishing at least a 1/4 of it. I was so upset. This was something that I took pride in, my ability to make cakes and this one was now not up to standard. I felt gutted, especially as this was a special birthday.
Ultimately though, the party was fantastic and very glam. Good music, good food and gorgeous people and a good time was had by all.
I did go back the next day at lunch time with my child, to deliver her gift and ended up spending the day with her and her family. We had a great time lounging in the sunshine, watching the children run around her huge garden. It was a lovely, relaxed day.
Hard to believe we've known each other for 20 years.
We have both come so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment