Friday, September 2, 2011

Coming to the end...

I think that I am feeling a sense of relief.
It is almost the end of the summer holidays.
And we, my child and I, have had so much fun.
We were supposed to spend 3 days camping with friends, but the weather just wasn't warm enough.
So we decided to plan a couple of day trips.
Yesterday we drove into the beautiful Oxfordshire countryside to the edge of the Cotswolds but not quite.
We were in iconic "Morse" country and I had visions of him driving passed us in him vintage jaguar.
Our destination was Oxford, the home of the famous university, the land of dons.
We wended our way to a small car park that belongs to The Cherwell Boathouse.   
It was enchanting, the river was so still and peaceful.
We were going 'punting'.
The children were so excited.  My friend had been before but this was my first time.
Would I find my sea-legs? 
After having our picnic on the banks of the river, we collected the equipment and life-jackets and started the punting process.
My friend punted us down river to the Victoria Arms where we had some much need refreshment and then it was my turn.
Me...I was to punt us home.
Could I do this?
Well actually yes, I could and I did.
Or at least I punted us halfway home.
Once I got my balance, I did ok.  I found it easier to steer the punt with the pole, then to do the propelling of the punt.  
It was a definite workout.
But an absolutely perfect day for it.
We all had a lovely time.

No comments:

Post a Comment