Thursday, December 10, 2009

Reflective thought

One of the classes that I'm taking has us 'reflecting' back on situations and today was no different.
My sister was visiting last week.
This was the first time that I'd been able to book a Friday night with her, normally she makes other plans. But last Friday, I took her dancing.
I made sure we arrived in time for the beginner's class, so that she'd have some basic knowledge of what kind of dancing I do. When we were 16, she had learned how to do 50's Jive, something that really didn't interest me, so I assumed that she'd pick this up quickly.
Part of the way through the beginner freestyle, DC arrived. I introduced them.
I was happy to have her see what had become such an important part of my life, my dancing and to meet DC.
What I didn't see and what he observed, was how my sister suddenly became very dominant and how I stood back and let her.
DC and I talked about this on Tuesday and I told him that I didn't feel the need to be dominant. This was my comfort place, with people I liked, doing what I liked. I was sharing with her. I didn't feel threatened by her presence, in fact I welcomed it. I wanted her to see how well I was doing, show her my dancing, let her participate in it.
I felt that I had reached another level in our 'twin-ness', that we were progressing.
Hurrah!

The odd thing about today, was that Dragon Lady more or less described exactly this scenario with regards to what was happening within my class. I was not just reflecting back, I was also seeing a reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment