2009 has turned out to be an amazing year for me.
That's not to say that it hasn't had it's ups and downs, but overall, it has been one of the best for many years.
And so, with respect to that, I felt that a "things I am grateful for" post was in order.
To start with, I am grateful to be dancing again. Last year, on the 3rd Tuesday of January I began going to Ceroc and loved it. A couple of weeks later, I started doing the Friday class too. This became my new drug of choice. It encapsulated all the elements that I required at that time to feel rounded as a person. It is social dancing and I have made many friends. I have learned a skill, that can be improved upon with practice. It is physical exercise as I am moving for almost 3 hours a night, twice a week. It is my mental therapy because I am able to lose myself in the movement and music. But mostly, it has given me a sense of belonging again. I have become a part of the community of Ceroc with a feeling of welcome.
I am also grateful to Ceroc for having reinstilled a level of confidence about myself that I haven't felt in many years.
One of my ongoing battles has been with my weight, most of which I gained while living in the States. Dancing as often as I have, the weight has slowly gone, allowing me to lose 14lbs in 11 months, leaving me feeling ok about my body.
I think I mentioned my health in an earlier post, but to recap, I had pneumonia 3 times in 18 months with the last bout finishing just before Christmas 2008. I changed my eating habits and started dancing and this is what I think has kept me healthy for the last year. I shall keep on this track for at least another year as I want a healthy 2 year cycle, free of pneumonia. So watch this space.
I also started a very demanding Access course in September, with a view to doing a 3 year degree next year. I have sent in my university applications and hope to have some interviews lined up within the next month or so. This is all part of my plan to be self-sufficient and independant and to be able to support myself and my daughter, so I am grateful to have gotten this far.
Finally, I think I'd like to start talking about the people that are in my life that I am grateful for of which there are probably too many too mention, so here are the key ones.
Nicola, my dear friend, who quite literally bends over backwards for me. Her love and support shows no boundaries or restrictions.
Moving back to London, has allowed my daughter to grow up close to her grandmother and for me to 5 minutes from my mum, a wonderful, nurturing support.
Without the enduring friendship of Sos, I would never have made it this far. Her encouragement was the impetus that got me back on track.
I am grateful to have one of my siblings nearby and for my child to have her Uncle, who is a hunkle (clarice bean) to romp around with.
While on the subject of hunks, I am most happy with the man that I met through dancing (Ceroc has a lot to answer for). He makes me smile, laugh and feel beautiful.
And to end this endless list of gratefulness, I would just like to add that the person that I am most grateful to have in my life, for without her, it wouldn't be worth much, is my stunning, precocious, affectionate little girl, she gives me an adorable reason to get out of bed every morning.
That's not to say that it hasn't had it's ups and downs, but overall, it has been one of the best for many years.
And so, with respect to that, I felt that a "things I am grateful for" post was in order.
To start with, I am grateful to be dancing again. Last year, on the 3rd Tuesday of January I began going to Ceroc and loved it. A couple of weeks later, I started doing the Friday class too. This became my new drug of choice. It encapsulated all the elements that I required at that time to feel rounded as a person. It is social dancing and I have made many friends. I have learned a skill, that can be improved upon with practice. It is physical exercise as I am moving for almost 3 hours a night, twice a week. It is my mental therapy because I am able to lose myself in the movement and music. But mostly, it has given me a sense of belonging again. I have become a part of the community of Ceroc with a feeling of welcome.
I am also grateful to Ceroc for having reinstilled a level of confidence about myself that I haven't felt in many years.
One of my ongoing battles has been with my weight, most of which I gained while living in the States. Dancing as often as I have, the weight has slowly gone, allowing me to lose 14lbs in 11 months, leaving me feeling ok about my body.
I think I mentioned my health in an earlier post, but to recap, I had pneumonia 3 times in 18 months with the last bout finishing just before Christmas 2008. I changed my eating habits and started dancing and this is what I think has kept me healthy for the last year. I shall keep on this track for at least another year as I want a healthy 2 year cycle, free of pneumonia. So watch this space.
I also started a very demanding Access course in September, with a view to doing a 3 year degree next year. I have sent in my university applications and hope to have some interviews lined up within the next month or so. This is all part of my plan to be self-sufficient and independant and to be able to support myself and my daughter, so I am grateful to have gotten this far.
Finally, I think I'd like to start talking about the people that are in my life that I am grateful for of which there are probably too many too mention, so here are the key ones.
Nicola, my dear friend, who quite literally bends over backwards for me. Her love and support shows no boundaries or restrictions.
Moving back to London, has allowed my daughter to grow up close to her grandmother and for me to 5 minutes from my mum, a wonderful, nurturing support.
Without the enduring friendship of Sos, I would never have made it this far. Her encouragement was the impetus that got me back on track.
I am grateful to have one of my siblings nearby and for my child to have her Uncle, who is a hunkle (clarice bean) to romp around with.
While on the subject of hunks, I am most happy with the man that I met through dancing (Ceroc has a lot to answer for). He makes me smile, laugh and feel beautiful.
And to end this endless list of gratefulness, I would just like to add that the person that I am most grateful to have in my life, for without her, it wouldn't be worth much, is my stunning, precocious, affectionate little girl, she gives me an adorable reason to get out of bed every morning.
Oh love. That is an incredible post. I wish everyone could read it. And thank you for your kind, kind words. Right back atcha soul sister!! xxx
ReplyDeleteThat's such a good idea, re the velux. Would be a helluva lot more comfortable for Father Christmas.
ReplyDeleteI love that post - beautiful.