Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The invisibles

I remember reading an article some time ago about the people in our everyday lives that we, as a nation, never really see.
It's not just the homeless sleeping in the doorways or living in boxes under bridges. It's the other people that stand at the entrances to the local supermarkets, selling The Big Issue, or collecting for a charity or two.
Sometimes as I walk past, I can hear a voice saying "hello" or "please help the ...whatever charity...", but I ignore it.
I think that we are all guilty of ignoring these people, pretending that they're not there, acting as if they're invisible. When what they're really doing, is trying to make a pittance of a living or trying to do some good for others.
The thought of becoming invisible to others is a scary one. About a year ago, a much older woman told me that at the age of 41, I was no longer a bright young thing, that people would stop seeing me in a crowd because I would no longer stand out. Does that then make me invisible? Or just not interesting? If that affects my level of confidence with all that I do have in my life, how does ignoring the people on the street affect theirs, with what little they have?
This is all food for thought, the pondering of the mind.
A small reminder to self, to treat others as I would like to be treated.

No comments:

Post a Comment