Saturday, July 16, 2011

Birthday pampering!

This year, I managed to celebrate a small birthday over the course of a week.
It wasn't intentional, but every time I met up with a friend or two, it became a 'special treat'.
I think yesterday was the final day for it.
I went with a friend to the Royal Academy of Art to see the Summer Exhibition.  I try to go every year as I find the experience of being surrounded by so much art an amazing and stimulating feeling.  I love being immersed by it all and try to absorb as much of the diversity as possible.
I had already gone to see it a couple of weeks before but had no problem going again.
My friend wandered about at her own pace, as did I and when she had had enough, we went back out on to Piccadilly.
She turned to me and said, "Ok, lets go to Fortnum and Mason for lunch."
Who was I to argue?  So off we went.
Fortnum and Mason is one of those quintessentially English places, that screams of Britishness!
We went to the Garden Restaurant and was greeted warmly by the Maitre De.
I asked if we could have a window table as it was my birthday.
And OH MY GOSH!  it was as if I were someone famous.
We were ushered over to a table with a view, albeit of the side street, but it was bright and sunny and it made all the difference.
Menus in hand, we perused the food items.
The Maitre De returned and we were handed a glass each of champagne, for my birthday.
Oooh....nice way to start.
Lunch was ordered, with a glass of Rose and was most delicious.
And then the waitress returned with more champagne, for my birthday.
Followed by the Maitre De with a large piece of chocolate cake and a candle, singing 'happy birthday'.
I felt flushed, my cheeks went bright red.  Not sure if that was the champagne or the embarrassment of being sung to.
But all in all, it was an amazing way to wrap up a wonderful birthday week.
I couldn't eat the chocolate cake, so they graciously boxed it up for me.

Now that is what I call a doggy bag!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment