Sunday, July 3, 2011

What would Winnicott say.....

I am currently wondering if I am a 'good enough mother' or simply not.
These rough days that I am having with my daughter feel like they're increasing in frequency.
And I have been noticing that I have been having a sense of panic.  I'm not sure that it isn't just bits of anxiety but whatever I'm feeling, it is making my heart pound.
I can't bare that I am such a shouty mummy.  I don't know what has happened to my ability to communicate.  This is my daughter, should I not be able to speak with her? Perhaps I need to listen better or listen more.  Sometimes when she starts being sarcastic or full of attitude, I feel my frustration growing and I need to walk away.   She contradicts everything I say, or she says that she already knows, or she starts raising her voice.  I stop responding because I don't want to shout.  Sometimes she lashes out at me, tries to hit me or to kick me.  All I can tell her is that she will hurt herself more than she will hurt me, which she invariably does.  This in turn does hurt me because I can't bare to see in this pain or this anguish.
It is when she works herself into a stew, she gets so angry, she screams at me that she hates me, that I hate her and that I am going to leave her.  I keep telling her that I don't hate her, that I love her and that I am not leaving her.  I don't know what else to say to her.  Where does this rage come from?  I do wonder how much of this is to do with her father not being her, with his moving to a different city without any warning.  I wonder how much this has to do with him having another family, more children that live with him, have his attention and his time.  I feel like I'm completely letting her and myself down, as a mother, I feel like I'm failing.  I often ask myself whether I'm not to hard on her.  Should I make more allowances for her?  She is only almost 8, but then when does that stop?  How do I know when what I'm asking of her is at the right time for her age and for her maturity?  Why do I not feel strong enough to cope with this?  I'm having time off at the moment, so why do I feel so stressed?  I wish that there was someone else here to share all this with.  Not to take over when I fall down, but just to support me when I wobbly and I feel like I'm wobbling at the moment.  I've said it before, but it is so hard sometimes, having this responsibility for another person, a person so dependent on me to make the right decisions, or the best decisions.  But what if I pick the wrong path to go down?  Then what?

2 comments:

  1. You're a lovely mum and she is one very lucky girl - albeit a strong willed girl with great depths of character. I do remember one of my close friends, who has 2 daughters, lamenting how truculent they both became around the age of 8. I do think it is a right of passage that others experience too. You handle it well (far better than me, in similar situations, most of the time) - so while it is exhausting, please be assured that you are doing an AMAZING job as a mum. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all mums feel a bit like this from time to time. The fact that you question whether you are doing good enough shows that you are at core a great mum who wants to get it right. Seek support via the blog, via Britmums, Mumsnet, Netmums. Have you tried Parentline?
    Sending empathy and hugs.
    Of course, if Daddy has abandoned her, she will have huge deep-seated anger issues and you may need support for her and for you. Nowt wrong with seeking help and no prizes for trying to do it all alone

    ReplyDelete