Wednesday, October 12, 2011

So depressing

Over the last week, I have been to visit two elderly residential care homes.  These are not to be mistaken with nursing homes.
And to be honest, I'm not really sure what to say about either of them.
I had no concept of what these were like and nothing to compare the first one to until today.
The first one was considered luxury with a small flat screen telly in each decent sized room.  The communal space was filled with big arm chairs in a sort of semi circle, where residents could watch the TV.  It had a French doors that lead onto a wonderful garden.
The second one was not luxury.  I walked in and felt oppressed.  It was hot and stuffy and felt very boxy.  There was the smell of cooking, very reminiscent of school dinners.  Every room felt like a corridor and lacked any softness.  The decor was shabby and unappealing.
Both homes had the feeling of the 'end of the line' and I came away saddened at the thought of where some people end up through lack of personal funds and government resources.

1 comment:

  1. It reminds me of going to see my grandmother. Her home was okay I guess, but she was so depressed. And the other residents seemed really, truly depressed too.

    It was an unbearable place to be. Everyone appeared to be (and feel) so neglected and forgotten.

    Heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete