To follow on from a very recent post from Family Affairs, I decided to write a little more about my life at this point in time.
I’m stuck in Chicago. Not the worst place to be by any stretch of the imagination, but definitely the wrong side of the pond to be able to contemplate taking a train home.
I would like to toy with the idea of flying into southern Spain, getting on a train to Paris and the Eurostar to London, but somehow I don’t think that that will happen.
My mother told me about all the old battle ships parked up in the Hudson river in New York. Mobilise those and ship all us Brits home.
As for emotions, don’t even get me started. I had a panic attack Sunday morning. I couldn't breath, my heart was racing and I was very tearful. It was NOT nice, not sure I’ve had one of those before. Thankfully the day got better.
I kept reminding myself that it could be oh so much worse. Like most people, I have friends stuck everywhere, Egypt, Italy (not too bad), an island off Denmark. I’m grateful to have a place to stay here and not be stuck in an airport. I feel so sorry for those families with children who have nowhere to go other than the airport. How awful is that?
But I do the ‘what if’ thing all the time.
Our plane actually took off last week to go home, but it had been delayed by 2 hours and was turned around after 3 hours. Shit does happen!
If we hadn’t been delayed, I could possibly be at home as we speak.
There is so much in my life at home that I am missing right now. Interviews, deadlines, family, friends, man. I'm feeling very unproductive but this is something that I can change. Homework can be emailed to me and visa versa.
It does amaze me that we have become so dependent on modern necessities.
But I think the thing I’m most grateful for right now, is being able to access the internet.
Staying in touch and hearing other stories and the news has been a blessing.
I hope that if you are one of the many 'stranded', that you’re able to get home soon.
I’m stuck in Chicago. Not the worst place to be by any stretch of the imagination, but definitely the wrong side of the pond to be able to contemplate taking a train home.
I would like to toy with the idea of flying into southern Spain, getting on a train to Paris and the Eurostar to London, but somehow I don’t think that that will happen.
My mother told me about all the old battle ships parked up in the Hudson river in New York. Mobilise those and ship all us Brits home.
As for emotions, don’t even get me started. I had a panic attack Sunday morning. I couldn't breath, my heart was racing and I was very tearful. It was NOT nice, not sure I’ve had one of those before. Thankfully the day got better.
I kept reminding myself that it could be oh so much worse. Like most people, I have friends stuck everywhere, Egypt, Italy (not too bad), an island off Denmark. I’m grateful to have a place to stay here and not be stuck in an airport. I feel so sorry for those families with children who have nowhere to go other than the airport. How awful is that?
But I do the ‘what if’ thing all the time.
Our plane actually took off last week to go home, but it had been delayed by 2 hours and was turned around after 3 hours. Shit does happen!
If we hadn’t been delayed, I could possibly be at home as we speak.
There is so much in my life at home that I am missing right now. Interviews, deadlines, family, friends, man. I'm feeling very unproductive but this is something that I can change. Homework can be emailed to me and visa versa.
It does amaze me that we have become so dependent on modern necessities.
But I think the thing I’m most grateful for right now, is being able to access the internet.
Staying in touch and hearing other stories and the news has been a blessing.
I hope that if you are one of the many 'stranded', that you’re able to get home soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment