Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Shall I dance?

Yesterday, I woke up feeling incredibly nervous.
I woke up with mild butterflies and I had them all day.
The only thing that I can think that would cause this, is me being taken out of my comfort zone.
The Windy City seems to have a nice array of dance classes.
So on Sunday, my friend and I went to a beginners West Coast Swing/Hustle class.
I was so nervous.
Did the class and then it was freestyle.
Oh no, who would I dance with?
Would anyone want to dance with me.
I felt like I was on a mission.
I needed to learn WCS.
My New Man (NM) could dance this style and was forever trying to teach me and I'd get so frustrated at not being able to 'get it'.
So I needed to come home with at least the basics under my belt.
That being said, the class was simple enough and I managed to grab a teacher or two for a practice.
But the whole thing was so different from my normal dancing.
The room was much lighter and there were a lot fewer people, but overall, they were very friendly and helpful.
I'm going to pluck up my courage and go again next Sunday.
Last night, was another class, this time it was the Tango.
It was in a little cafe called The Ritz Tango Cafe.
Our teacher for the night, was a wonderfully charismatic man called Jorge (please pronounce with a Spanish accent).
He had a twinkle in his eye and a spring in his step.
He flirted, without being lewd, never stepping beyond the boundaries of decency.
My friend and I did the beginners class for an hour and then he invited us to participate in the next level.
It was fantastic.
Again, everyone was so friendly.
Questions were asked and answered.
It was a small, intimate environment and with tango music playing, it felt very atmospheric.
I loved it.
I want more.
I'm going to sign up for a level 1 & 2 class next Monday night in Tango.
I'm so glad that I brought my sparkly dancing shoes, they are certainly getting a work out!!
At this rate, I'm going to go back to London a 'dancing queen'!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I wish i could dance but have nooo rythm...those sparkly shoes sound fabulous! Good luck in your new classes and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete