Sunday, June 6, 2010

Home

Home.
Not sure why it is but I find myself smiling when I think about it.
And it's not just my own small living space, but the surrounding area.
I was driving back from a long afternoon of dancing on the river, followed by more dancing in a pub, completely exhausted with little patience for idiot 'Sunday' drivers, when I turned right onto Roseberry Ave and found myself smiling.
I had grown up going to Sadler's Wells, the old theatre, not this glass monstrosity that they have now replaced it with and it sort of felt like a signal. A sign that I was in home territory.
Not long now and I'd be wending my way past my old road, the road where I lived for 30 years. Do people still do that? Live somewhere for that length of time? It seems that everyone wants bigger and better, more space inside, more space outside. Are we never content with just enough? Is the grass always going to be greener on the other side of the fence?
That is a question that I am at this point in time, happy to answer with a no. I am content with where I live. It is my home. My humble abode. I share it happily (most of the time) with my child. We as a family unit, have grown and developed here. But further down the line, later on, perhaps in a few years, I would like to have a slightly bigger home, with a garden.
I can aspire to more. For what are we if we can't have our dreams? Our hopes? Our goals?
It is healthy to be able to achieve and to reach an actual peak in the daily mountains that we climb.
So yes, I am happy and I do smile when I near my own little part of the world. It is the comfort of the known, the normal, the routine that makes everyday life, at least for me, the life that I am happy to be leading.

No comments:

Post a Comment