Thursday, July 1, 2010

Continuation of conformity...

I find that it's very hard not to conform in some way or another.
And trust me when I say that I have tried...not to that is.
I noticed it hugely when I lived in America. All the properties that I looked at to buy, were amazingly similar, right down to the granite in the kitchen. This was not limited to house buying but also to high street shops selling clothes. Everything seemed to have a sameness about it. There is so much choice but it is all so very similar. It follows the trend and it has so much to do with the consumer society that we are surrounded by. Its the quietly invisible peer pressure of the various circles that we move in.
It's our children in the playground, coming home with the latest 'hip' word, wanting to be the same as their friends. Fundamentally, we are all pack animals with our alpha males and females leading the way, while the rest of us 'sheep' fall into line and conform. It is the pied piper that leads us away from our explorative, edgy selves, to a more uniform existence.
It's what we do with our conformity that counts and how we make it work for us, for our bohemian selves. It's the exploration of our creativity, the spreading of our wings, that allows us to push those proverbial boundaries, that changes the norm into the boho, going far out into the left field.
So take those steps...

No comments:

Post a Comment