Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Royal Visit of sorts....

One of my favourite galleries in London is the Royal Academy.
I love that you can be walking down one of the busiest streets in the heart of the West End one minute and then passing through an impressive archway into a relatively quiet and sedate courtyard the next.
Only on this particular morning, there was nothing sedate about this courtyard.
Standing majestically in the centre, was a 30 foot tree made of extra large, highly reflective silver baubles, very reminiscent of Chicago's Millennium Bean, (I'm partial to Tiffany's Elsa Peritti's Bean series of jewellry) and so love this sculpture.
Anish Kapoor, the artist, is known for creating incredible striking sculptures that promote visual interaction and discussion from it's audience. His works range from the small to the absolutely massive, as seen in the Turbine Hall at the Tate Modern in 2002/2003.
Over the years, I have become a huge (excuse the pun) fan of the vastness of his art and the deapth of saturation of the colour used. He has ingenuity within his ideas, along with a touch of humour.
My friend and I turned the corner and we were both entranced by the sight that met our eyes. This stimulating sight convinced us that we were now the world's greatest iPhone photographers...........NOT! But what fun we had.
Without giving too much away, there were moments when we jumped out of our skin and moments where we giggled like schoolgirls. In between, we sat quite simply in awe.
I highly recommend seeing this exhibition for so many reasons on so many levels.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a fan of modern art like that, can't please everyone, can you!!! Glad you had a good time though.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete