Saturday, November 14, 2009

Seize the day

Last week, first thing in the morning, I was sitting in the LRC (Learning Resource Centre) or using the old-fashioned name, the library, when I suddenly heard a thump and a thud.
I turned around to see a young man shuddering on the floor.
He was making strange, whimpering sounds.
He was in the throws of a seizure.
Lying on his side, he was convulsing.
His body twisted with tension.
There was a look of anguish in his eyes.
Both of us felt helpless.
I because there was nothing that I could do to help.
He because he knew that he simply had to let this fit pass.
Small bits of foam began to appear from his mouth.
The library staff took control and asked everyone to leave.
To give this poor lad some privacy.
The medics arrived as I was leaving.
Helping him up as he slowly relaxed and they were able to take him to a quieter, less exposed area, making him
more comfortable.
It must be so difficult having such a condition, not knowing when or where it's going to effect you.

1 comment:

  1. we went through an awful time with ds when he was 15, as he started having seizures. You do feel helpless when they are having a seizure, you just have to wait until its over.

    Ds hasn't had one in years and he is on medication on a daily basis, for the rest of his life. I don't talk about this on my blog for privacy reasons.

    Gill i Canada

    ReplyDelete