Sunday, November 29, 2009

Unexpected...

Last week, on Tuesday to be precise, I was invited to Thanksgiving.
To set the scene, last week was one of the maddest weeks that I've had to date, in a long time.
I had two assignments due.
One was a 5 minute speaking presentation on Thursday and the other was a multi-faceted, 2 part 2000 word essay, with references and bibliography for Friday.
Plus I had normal work, normal chores and normal running around after child's busy social life.
Having made the decision to go to Thanksgiving, I suddenly realised that I needed to 'bring' something. I couldn't go empty handed.
Quickly, what should I do?
Why...make biscuits of course.
And that's what I did, a quick, batch of fresh chocolate chip biscuits.
Now to the problem of what to wear???
That was the easy part, black tuxedo trousers, patent mary-janes, sparkly black top, fitted wool jacket, long cashmere coat (also black), pale pink pashmina scarf and big silver ring.
Slightly over-dressed but that was remedied by throwing my black turtle neck jumper on, mainly to keep me warm. It was a freezing night, not good for the walk from the bus stop to their house.
But Thanksgiving was wonderful and I soon warmed up. The hostess is a new friend, an American who married a Londoner. She and her family welcomed me into their home, along with 5 other friends. It was such an interesting group of people. A journalist, a research doctor, a social worker, an architect, a top hair stylist and me........a newbie student. The conversation was, for the most part, riveting and the food divine.
Sitting there, it occurred to me that I had a lot to be thankful for.
I've been healthy for almost a year.
I've started dancing again.
I'm on a path to a new career.
My child is happy and well, except for a stinking cough.
I have a plethora of amazing friends.
And I've met a lovely man.
I am where I want to be at this moment in time.
This was my first Thanksgiving since my divorce.
And for all of the above, I am truly thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment