I can't believe that I've almost finished my 3rd full week of college.
How's it going?
Not really sure.
The BIG surprise is that I'm actually enjoying Maths.
Ok, pick yourselves up off the floor.
I said that I'm liking Maths.
It took me 3 goes to get my Maths exam 20 odd years ago and I hated it back then. But now, it's just like doing puzzles.....at least so far it is.
Unfortunately, the class that I'm finding the hardest is English. It all about the facts. I have to learn how not to write 'purple prose' (thanks Spence) and also be more concise.
Analytical essay writing is another one that I'm not looking forward to doing.
The teachers are doing ok, considering we're such a mixed bunch of people with very mixed abilities.
The Maths teacher is great, JH. Everything very simple and clear.
The English teacher is good, K, but not so good at keeping the class focused.
The Social Work teacher, AU, is also very good, with a fun sense of humour.
But the really interesting one is our Course Tutor. Dragon Lady! This term she is teaching us Interpersonal Skills. We had to do role playing today. She will pin you down with a stare if you're talking in class.
Scary!!
I'm hesitant to say that I'm doing well, mainly because I'm finding it hard to do the homework in the evening and also I'd like a few more guidelines about how much work is expected in terms of length of assignment. Plus I'm frustrated at the lack of having a printer. I spoke with my mum about it this evening and she told me to go buy one at half term. This is last years Christmas/Birthday and next Christmas present. I've been deferring it to be able to get the laptop that I really want.
So watch this space for that update.
But so far, all my homework has been handed in on time AND completed.
One of the things I've been using the most has been a pack of colouring pencils. There have been a few pieces of work requiring LOTS of colour (thanks KR).
I'm still really pleased to be on this course and I think that I made the right choice in going to that particular college, but 4 years is starting to feel like a very, very, very long time.
How's it going?
Not really sure.
The BIG surprise is that I'm actually enjoying Maths.
Ok, pick yourselves up off the floor.
I said that I'm liking Maths.
It took me 3 goes to get my Maths exam 20 odd years ago and I hated it back then. But now, it's just like doing puzzles.....at least so far it is.
Unfortunately, the class that I'm finding the hardest is English. It all about the facts. I have to learn how not to write 'purple prose' (thanks Spence) and also be more concise.
Analytical essay writing is another one that I'm not looking forward to doing.
The teachers are doing ok, considering we're such a mixed bunch of people with very mixed abilities.
The Maths teacher is great, JH. Everything very simple and clear.
The English teacher is good, K, but not so good at keeping the class focused.
The Social Work teacher, AU, is also very good, with a fun sense of humour.
But the really interesting one is our Course Tutor. Dragon Lady! This term she is teaching us Interpersonal Skills. We had to do role playing today. She will pin you down with a stare if you're talking in class.
Scary!!
I'm hesitant to say that I'm doing well, mainly because I'm finding it hard to do the homework in the evening and also I'd like a few more guidelines about how much work is expected in terms of length of assignment. Plus I'm frustrated at the lack of having a printer. I spoke with my mum about it this evening and she told me to go buy one at half term. This is last years Christmas/Birthday and next Christmas present. I've been deferring it to be able to get the laptop that I really want.
So watch this space for that update.
But so far, all my homework has been handed in on time AND completed.
One of the things I've been using the most has been a pack of colouring pencils. There have been a few pieces of work requiring LOTS of colour (thanks KR).
I'm still really pleased to be on this course and I think that I made the right choice in going to that particular college, but 4 years is starting to feel like a very, very, very long time.
You will get the hang of the homework. I remember picking holes in the homework when I was at Uni - handy hint: if a scenario isn't straightforward enough and the tutors are vague, list your assumptions.
ReplyDeleteThe 4 years will fly by. And there's no doubt that you are doing well. x x