Monday, September 13, 2010

Thoughts go a wandering

My mind is taking a meander down What If Lane.
Through the bendy curves of the Lonely Dales.
I have too much spare time on my hands.
I need to be constructive, given a direction to focus on.
It has been 2 1/2 months since I finished college and now, with less than a week until I start university, I'm finally beginning to feel it.
I'm still waiting on funding but have been assured that it should all be fine.
But what if it isn't?
I'm trying to be optimistic, but the pessimist in me keeps popping up.
And to add to all that Shouty Mummy returned tonight and now my throat hurts.
Last week, after speaking with my daughter's new teacher, I felt very disheartened. What was I not doing? How could I help her? Where was I going wrong? She wasn't focusing in class and was unable to finish the assigned task, which was then finished in break time. I have been so hard on her since last Easter to try and help her through this. I have had her do one chore or exercise at a time in a timely fashion in order to help her focus and finish. But after last week's conversation, I felt like I'd failed. Completing the maths homework had been like pulling teeth. The idea of doing more homework for the next however many years was taking on a feeling of dread, would it always be like this? An up-hill struggle? A battle all the way? What was I going to do? How would I manage her work-load and mine?
I have no idea.
But after today's conversation with her teacher, I'm feeling a bit more 'glass half full' as he said that her concentration had been very good, with all class work completed in the allotted time.
Woohoo!
And long may it continue.
I'm not asking for an easy life, but being a single mum is hard enough, without any added issues.
So fingers crossed that she continues to improve.
After all, in the beginning, we're acorns, all we simply do is grow in to oak trees.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, Jo! You're a great Mom to your beautiful daughter! :)

    ReplyDelete