I'm following up on a suggestion of a dear friend, as a way to move forward through some of the issues that 'we' are having at home. We are having a family meeting today.
We shall probably go to our local Starbucks, where I can enjoy the coffee and my child can have a muffin, both of which help ease the way.
The problem is, is that I'm not sure how detailed this meeting should be, after all I'm dealing with a 7 year old child. There is only so much 'reasoning' that she can take on board.
I think that seeing me in tears yesterday morning before school, brought home how upset I am at the moment. She didn't like seeing me crying.
So in this meeting, we are going to draw up a list of chores that she can be responsible for and if these chores are done on time, then maybe we start looking at a system of giving pocket money. She can start learning the value of things. Let her start contributing to how we live as a family.
I feel like I cannot do everything.
DC was with me yesterday when I did school pick up. We had to race to get to a dance class and while this was going on, he and I went to view a property on behalf of a dear friend. My child was lovely. She got her pjs on, ate supper, cleaned her teeth, had her story and went to bed. But then she kept coming out. First she was too cold, then too hot, then she couldn't sleep. DC and I were supposed to be going for dinner and dancing, but this was looking less likely.
I could feel my sense of panic rise, while DC remained calm, allowing me to do what I needed to do. I had just wanted to have an easy evening without any 'child' issues, with me not wanting to shout at her. But each time she came out of her room, just made me feel more like I was doing it all wrong. Finally, she stayed in her room and went to sleep. With the babysitter listening for her, we went out.
I really didn't feel great, I felt depleted, so we didn't go dancing, instead we went for dinner at Dim T, which turned out to be the perfect salve. I needed to relax and we sat there, side by side, smiling and laughing while we ate.
But I know that my reactions to my daughter need to be kept in check. She is only 7 and she deserves a happy, carefree childhood. But all this is showing me that I am definitely not super-mum and that I do need some family help, that I can't do it all, no matter how capable I may appear.
No comments:
Post a Comment